John did have the swallow test today. He made some progress, but is not where he needs to be. He tried many different textures, which was good, and a HUGE step from our last tests. They will wait until they do the scope of his throat again to try and figure out what is happening. John is able to protect his airway, but the liquid tends to pool in the back of his throat. This is most likely as a result of his changed anatomy from the injury.
We have been scheduled for the scope on Wednesday. Everyone has told us to be ready. The ENT, the nurse, etc. Then, late tonight (Tuesday) the nurse came in and said we were scheduled for Friday. Seems that the pulmonologist wanted to participate, and he couldn’t make it until Friday. As you can imagine, we had many questions on this change. Even ENT was surprised, as they had planned on doing the scope Wednesday. So, as it stands now, John is going to stop the feeds, and take fluids as if he were having the scope. Maybe they can get to the bottom of it in the morning. However, the schedule is always set the day before, so I am not sure what to think.
You can pray that we get the scope. But it’s God’s timing, so whatever. We’ll push for tomorrow, but it is out of our hands. Why am I really in Cincinnati?